Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Exodus 22:16-31

A COMPASSIONATE AND HOLY PEOPLE

Keywords 22:27b

When he cries out to me, I will hear, for I am compassionate.

 

1. ...for I am compassionate (16-27)

While slaves in Egypt, Israeli society was oppressed under a might makes right worldview. People did as they pleased, following the godless culture and influences of Egypt. The weak and powerless suffered. Gods people are to grow in Gods attributes, including his compassion. He expects his people to protect young girls, not oppress foreigners, or take advantage of widows, the fatherless, or the poor. The chief value of Gods society is not tolerance, but compassion and holiness.

 

2. You are to be my holy people (28-31)

God is holy. Being Gods people integrates acknowledgment of God in every area of life. This includes governing, giving offerings regularly, and remembering Gods grace of deliverance from Egypt by consecrating the firstborn (13:2). No longer slaves who eat whatever can be found, Gods holy people are to bear his image.

 

Prayer Father, thank you for calling me to grow in your compassion and holiness. Help me love you and love my neighbor practically.

One Word God is compassionate and holy

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

REMEMBERING THE GRACE Esther 9:20-10:3 / Keywords 9:22 as the time when the Jews got relief from their enemies, and as the month when th...