Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Zechariah 3:1-10

MY SERVANT, THE BRANCH

Keywords 3:8b

I am going to bring my servant, the Branch.


1. See, I have taken away your sin (1-7)

Joshua was in the first group to return from exile by Cyrus’ decree. He was high priest and Zerubbabel was governor (Ez 2:2; Hag 1:1). Satan attacked him relentlessly, but God rescued him like a stick from the fire. His filthy clothes represent the shameful sins of him and his people. But God forgave his sins and clothed him with fine garments. The covenant could then be resumed between God and his people (6-7). As the priest goes, so go the people.



2. You are symbolic of things to come (8-10)

Restoring the priesthood was important in that day, but also symbolic of God’s redemptive plan moving forward to the Branch. Jeremiah 23:5 tells of a just and righteous Branch coming from David. This Branch will be the LORD our Righteous Savior. Jesus is the Branch, our Great High Priest (Heb 4:14-16), and the stone upon which the Church is built (1Pe 2:4). The removal of sin in a single day was completed by Jesus on the cross.

Prayer Father, thank you for sending Jesus our High Priest who forgives our sins.

One Word See, I have taken away your sin

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE LIMITS OF WISDOM AND PLEASURE Ecclesiastes 1:12-2:11 / Keywords 2:11 Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had t...