Friday, February 26, 2021

Luke 9:18-27

WHO DO YOU SAY I AM?

Keywords 9:20

"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?" Peter answered, "The Christ of God."

 

1. Jesus is the Messiah (18-22)

Jesus asked his disciples, Who do the crowds say I am? Popular opinion varied

from John the Baptist to Elijah to a prophet of old. But there was a consensus

that Jesus was someone from God. Then Jesus asked his disciples something we

must all answer at some point, Who do you say I am? Peter answered, Gods

Messiah. Contrary to the popular view, the Messiah would not be a political

fi gure. The Messiah would suffer, be rejected, killed and then be raised to life. The

Messiah would do this to save us from our sins.

 

2. To be a disciple of Jesus (23-27)

Discipleship requires self-denial, taking up ones cross and following Jesus

every day. Jesus points out the foolishness of saving ones life and possibly even

gaining the whole world and yet losing ones life in the end. If a person is ashamed

of Jesus now, Jesus will be ashamed of him when he returns. However, everyone

who loses their life for Jesus will save it for eternal life.

 

Prayer Lord Jesus, you are the Messiah. Thank you for giving your life in order to

save mine. Help me to deny myself, take up my cross and follow you.

One Word Follow Jesus the Messiah

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

IN THIS HOPE WE ARE SAVED Romans 8:18-30 / Keywords 8:24a For in this hope we were saved.   Present Suffering and Future Glory 8:18 I ...