Thursday, December 28, 2023

GODS WORD GIVES CONFIDENCE

Psalm 138:1-8 / Keywords 138:3

When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted.

 

Psalm 138

Of David.

1 I will praise you, Lord, with all my heart;

    before the “gods” I will sing your praise.

2 I will bow down toward your holy temple

    and will praise your name

    for your unfailing love and your faithfulness,

for you have so exalted your solemn decree

    that it surpasses your fame.

3 When I called, you answered me;

    you greatly emboldened me.


4 May all the kings of the earth praise you, Lord,

    when they hear what you have decreed.

5 May they sing of the ways of the Lord,

    for the glory of the Lord is great.


6 Though the Lord is exalted, he looks kindly on the lowly;

    though lofty, he sees them from afar.

7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble,

    you preserve my life.

You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes;

    with your right hand you save me.

8 The Lord will vindicate me;

    your love, Lord, endures forever—

    do not abandon the works of your hands.


1. Unlike other so-called gods, who cannot do or say anything, our God has given us his word his solemn decree (2) so we may know his heart and will. Gods word teaches us his unfailing love and faithfulness. Most of all, he revealed himself in Jesus, the living Word. Because we have Gods word of promise, and because he answers our prayer, we can be confident, even bold (3). We can know his compassion on the lowly (6) and be abundantly comforted in times of trouble (7).

 

2. David was in serious trouble when he wrote this Psalm, with powerful and angry foes opposing him (7). But he was determined not to let it stop him from praising God (1). He believed God would not only preserve his life (7), but rebuke his enemies and grant him vindication after his suffering (8). May we also take such a dose of confidence from Gods word today, remembering Gods goodness no matter what kind of trouble we are in.

 

Prayer Heavenly Father, thank you for exalting your word so we may gain confidence in your promise. Help me be confident and bold in Jesus.

One Word God will answer when I call

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS SENDS OUT THE TWELVE Luke 9:1-9 / Keywords 9:2 and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.   Jesus S...