Monday, October 30, 2023

LIVE UP TO WHAT WE HAVE ALREADY ATTAINED

Philippians 3:12-16 / Keywords 3:16

Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

 

3:12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

15 All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. 16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.


1. Our life in Jesus can seem somewhat of a paradox. Salvation is not achieved by our own efforts or some unattainable prize. Salvation is already attained by faith in Christ. God does not love us more when we do more, but we can still aspire to live up to his love for us every day. Gods love inspires us to realize the fullness of our being that God created us to be and from which Christ redeemed us from the power of sin and death. Our life starts and continues in God's grace.

 

2. Living by this faith is not easy because of our past wounds and bad habits. They need to be healed and transformed by the sanctifying work of Christ in us. We don't easily forget, but we can unlearn toxic ways of thinking about ourselves and God. We can find healing from our sin and shame in Christ. We can affirm Christ's love and salvation power in us and through us when we also love and serve those in need around us.

 

Prayer Lord, help me to hold on to the faith of your love for me and live according to it and not by the world's corrupted standards that often intrude my thoughts and habits.

One Word Live by faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

“ DON ’ T BE AFRAID; JUST BELIEVE ” Luke 8:49-56 / Keywords 8:50 Hearing this, Jesus said to Jairus, "Don't be afraid; just bel...