Sunday, October 22, 2023

CUT FREE FROM THE CORDS OF THE WICKED

Psalm 129:1-8 / Keywords 129:4

But the LORD is righteous; he has cut me free from the cords of the wicked.

 

Psalm 129

A song of ascents.

1 “They have greatly oppressed me from my youth,”

    let Israel say;

2 “they have greatly oppressed me from my youth,

    but they have not gained the victory over me.

3 Plowmen have plowed my back

    and made their furrows long.

4 But the Lord is righteous;

    he has cut me free from the cords of the wicked.”


5 May all who hate Zion

    be turned back in shame.

6 May they be like grass on the roof,

    which withers before it can grow;

7 a reaper cannot fill his hands with it,

    nor one who gathers fill his arms.

8 May those who pass by not say to them,

    “The blessing of the Lord be on you;

    we bless you in the name of the Lord.”


1. Victory from God (1-4). Israel was born in slavery. She was oppressed by hostile neighbors or superpowers during much of her history. But the Lord had a great purpose for her. He wanted to raise her up as his own people to be a kingdom of priests and a holy nation (Ex 19:5-6). He cut her free from the cords of the wicked. God sets his people free to serve him. When we worship our righteous God and acknowledge his sovereignty, no one can gain victory over us.

 

2. All who hate Zion (5-8). Those who hate God and oppress and harass his people will be turned back in shame. People without God in their lives are like grass trying to grow on a roof: it has no roots, so it withers in the hot sun before it can grow. People without God cannot receive any blessing from God, so their lives are dry and fruitless. God's people have victory when they wait patiently on God.

 

Prayer Lord, thank you for cutting me free from the cords of sin and death. Thank you for blessing me to put down roots in your word so that my life is fruitful.

One Word Thank God for his grace and blessing

No comments:

Post a Comment

“ DON ’ T BE AFRAID; JUST BELIEVE ” Luke 8:49-56 / Keywords 8:50 Hearing this, Jesus said to Jairus, "Don't be afraid; just bel...