Saturday, August 19, 2023

THE UNFAILING LOVE OF THE LORD

Psalm 119:41-64 / Keywords 119:41

May your unfailing love come to me, O LORD, your salvation according to your promise;

 

119:41 May your unfailing love come to me, Lord,

    your salvation, according to your promise;

42 then I can answer anyone who taunts me,

    for I trust in your word.

43 Never take your word of truth from my mouth,

    for I have put my hope in your laws.

44 I will always obey your law,

    for ever and ever.

45 I will walk about in freedom,

    for I have sought out your precepts.

46 I will speak of your statutes before kings

    and will not be put to shame,

47 for I delight in your commands

    because I love them.

48 I reach out for your commands, which I love,

    that I may meditate on your decrees.


49 Remember your word to your servant,

    for you have given me hope.

50 My comfort in my suffering is this:

    Your promise preserves my life.

51 The arrogant mock me unmercifully,

    but I do not turn from your law.

52 I remember, Lord, your ancient laws,

    and I find comfort in them.

53 Indignation grips me because of the wicked,

    who have forsaken your law.

54 Your decrees are the theme of my song

    wherever I lodge.

55 In the night, Lord, I remember your name,

    that I may keep your law.

56 This has been my practice:

    I obey your precepts.


57 You are my portion, Lord;

    I have promised to obey your words.

58 I have sought your face with all my heart;

    be gracious to me according to your promise.

59 I have considered my ways

    and have turned my steps to your statutes.

60 I will hasten and not delay

    to obey your commands.

61 Though the wicked bind me with ropes,

    I will not forget your law.

62 At midnight I rise to give you thanks

    for your righteous laws.

63 I am a friend to all who fear you,

    to all who follow your precepts.

64 The earth is filled with your love, Lord;

    teach me your decrees.

 

1. (41-48) The psalmist prays for God’s unfailing, steadfast love and salvation to come to him. His trust, hope, love, delight, search, speech, and meditation are in God and his word. May we all have such a holy longing and devotion!

2. (49-56) The psalmist finds comfort and hope through God’s word of promise amidst sufferings from arrogant people. He is indignant when God’s word is ignored. He prays God may remember his promises as he remembers God’s name and word.

3. (57-64) These verses are among those that use all 8 Hebrew words for God’s word. Can you find them? (Hint: “your” precedes them all) The earth is filled with the LORD’s covenant love. From his heart and with his feet the psalmist seeks God and even rises at night to thank God. He was a friend to all who fear God.

Prayer Lord, your love is unfailing. Your word is true and faithful. Incline my heart to seek and worship you. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

One Word The LORD’s love and promises bring salvation


No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS SENDS OUT THE TWELVE Luke 9:1-9 / Keywords 9:2 and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.   Jesus S...