Thursday, August 17, 2023

BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO…

Psalm 119:1-16 / Keywords 119:2

Blessed are they who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart.

 

119:1 Blessed are those whose ways are blameless,

    who walk according to the law of the Lord.

2 Blessed are those who keep his statutes

    and seek him with all their heart—

3 they do no wrong

    but follow his ways.

4 You have laid down precepts

    that are to be fully obeyed.

5 Oh, that my ways were steadfast

    in obeying your decrees!

6 Then I would not be put to shame

    when I consider all your commands.

7 I will praise you with an upright heart

    as I learn your righteous laws.

8 I will obey your decrees;

    do not utterly forsake me.


9 How can a young person stay on the path of purity?

    By living according to your word.

10 I seek you with all my heart;

    do not let me stray from your commands.

11 I have hidden your word in my heart

    that I might not sin against you.

12 Praise be to you, Lord;

    teach me your decrees.

13 With my lips I recount

    all the laws that come from your mouth.

14 I rejoice in following your statutes

    as one rejoices in great riches.

15 I meditate on your precepts

    and consider your ways.

16 I delight in your decrees;

    I will not neglect your word.


Footnotes

a. Psalm 119:1 This psalm is an acrostic poem, the stanzas of which begin with successive letters of the Hebrew alphabet; moreover, the verses of each stanza begin with the same letter of the Hebrew alphabet.


1. (1-8) Psalm 119 begins, like Psalm 1, speaking of who is blessed. They are blameless and walk according to the LORD’s law. They keep his statutes (what God testifies is his will) and seek him with all their heart. They avoid doing wrong, but rather follow God’s ways. The LORD has laid down precepts (covenant regulations) to be fully obeyed. See the psalmist’s prayer (5)! He wants to live unashamed, praising and obeying God with an upright heart.

2. (9-16) How can anyone live a pure life in this chaotic, sin sick world? By living according to God’s word. Seek God with all your heart (2,10). Hide his word in your heart. Praise God. Learn his decrees. Recite God’s word. Rejoice in pursuing truth as great riches. Meditate on, delight in, and don’t neglect God’s word. Those who do these things are indeed blessed.

Prayer Father, thank you for your holy word. May I seek you with all my heart, and may I rejoice and delight in your life-giving words, as if I won a lottery. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

One Word Seek God wholeheartedly; delight in his precious word

No comments:

Post a Comment

“ DON ’ T BE AFRAID; JUST BELIEVE ” Luke 8:49-56 / Keywords 8:50 Hearing this, Jesus said to Jairus, "Don't be afraid; just bel...