Sunday, December 26, 2021

Exodus 4:1-17

NOW GO; I WILL HELP YOU

Keywords 4:12

Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."

 

1. “... so they may believe...” (1-9)

Moses had tried to deliver his people, but they had rejected him and his methods. Why would they believe and listen to him now? God gave Moses three signs so the people may believe that the God of their fathers had appeared to Moses: the staff into a snake, the inflicting and healing of leprosy on Moses’ hand, and turning the water of the Nile into blood. Such signs revealed clearly the hand of God was with Moses, and with his people Israel.


2. “Is it not I, the LORD?” (10-17)

God’s signs were convincing. Yet Moses was fixated on his lack of eloquence (10), which made him doubt anyone would believe him (1). The people’s rejection and his failure seemed to have left a wound, and made it difficult for him to listen to God. God again tried to turn Moses’ attention to God himself, first through questions pointing to God’s sovereignty as Creator, and next a promise to go, trusting God would be with him. But Moses didn't trust God. Although God’s promise to be with Moses should’ve been enough, Aaron’s support and the staff were necessary to help Moses grow in confidence as God’s servant.


Prayer Father, thank you for your patience with my wounds and failures. Help me grow in trusting you.

One Word Trust in God’s help

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE LIMITS OF WISDOM AND PLEASURE Ecclesiastes 1:12-2:11 / Keywords 2:11 Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had t...