Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Deuteronomy 32:28-52

“THERE IS NO GOD BESIDES ME”

Keywords 32:39

“See now that I myself am He! There is no god besides me. I put to death and I bring to life, I have wounded and I will heal, and no one can deliver out of my hand.”

 

1. “Their rock is not like our Rock” (28-43)

God laments his people’s lack of discernment: They foolishly turn away from him, the Rock that shelters them unlike idols. But even the idolatrous enemies know the God of Israel is mightier than the idols they worship. Idolatry is deadly like poison, bringing bitterness. Unless their Rock had given them up, Israel could never be defeated. God’s use of foreign armies to subjugate his people was to help them see he is sovereign over the earth. There is no god besides himself, the living Creator God. He puts to death and gives life, and no one can deliver out of his hand. In contrast, idols are manmade.

 

2. They are not just idle words but your life (44-52)

This song, and all the law written before it by the hand of Moses, was to be kept and recited by his people regularly. Although Moses went up Mount Nebo and did not return, God’s law has been given to his people, personally and directly, through Moses. These are not just idle words but life! These words point to the Word made flesh, Jesus who is our life.

 

Prayer Father, you are the Rock, in whom we find salvation and shelter. Help me trust in you today.

One Word Jesus is the Word of Life

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE JOY OF THE LORD Luke 10:17-24 / Keywords 10:20 However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names a...